Tuesday, December 7, 2010

snow crash

Snow Crash
A badass, somehow very detailed, yet fast paced novel. I would just get sucked into the descriptions for things like a pizza delivery truck. Y.T. I think was one of my favorite characters, she was so well written, she had two sides to her, one being the teenie skater punk, the other seemed like a woman film noir detective. The way society was set up by franchising was pretty realistic too, since now water is becoming privatized in present day’s reality. There was also one of the best uses of literary devices I have seen in a novel; the electronic virtual library database complete with librarian. The passages of the novel where he is conversing back an forth with the database, unveiling ancient yet related history, I could read this for hours. For some reason if you hand me a text book on the history of certain cultures I have a lot more trouble with it where as if two people where conversing and giving commentary on the history of that culture, I find it way easier and enjoyable to digest. It was also amazing how they brought religion and myth and united it with binary and the metaverse. It was such a good coupling. The use of language and even computer language spreading like a disease, using it to fight for control of language and information, this book had it all. Hiro Protaganost, hacker, former pizza delivery guy, and ninja to save us all, a mad lib gone horribly right.

No comments:

Post a Comment